2022 Whole Life Soaps Haiku Contest
It's that time of year again when winter transcends into spring, renewal spreads a trail across the natural landscape of blooming buds and green growth, and the local soap maker in Wrightwood, California is calling for your observational thoughts of nature in the form of a haiku.
This year's theme is intolerance.
So much of the world lacks tolerance. We fight about politics, we argue over international borders, and we strip away the rights of others in the name of self-righteousness. But, I ask, where is our tolerance of each other?
The natural world has many opportunities to observe how a vast array of different plants, animals, insects, and even people can live together, harmoniously, despite the often insurmountable differences that we perceive in each other.
Your task, should you choose to enter, is to write a haiku about nature's ability to deal with intolerance.
If you've never written a Haiku before, just remember:
Your haiku should aim to convey a moment of insight, probably from something you’ve observed, either in the world or in your mind and heart.
Write your haiku in three lines. You do not need to use the 5-7-5 syllable count. Many of the best Haiku do not follow this guideline. I suggest a goal of 17 syllables spread across three lines. How you divide it is up to you.
Write with directness, using clear images.
Find a way to break the haiku into two parts, with the second part creating a contrast or surprise after the first one.
- Nature should be part of the poem, either setting up the contrast or completing it.
Finally, it's important to read haiku to get the feeling of the haiku structure. Whether you search the internet for examples or buy a book of Haiku poetry, reading examples is still the best teacher.
1. Past winners are ineligible
2. One entry per person
3. Entries must be received by May 21st at 5:00PM PST to be considered eligible.
4. Submissions may be entered alternatively via US Mail. Send to Bill McConnell c/o Whole Life Soaps, PO Box 3082, Wrightwood, CA 92397. Additionally, contestants may submit a contest entry in-person at Whole Life Soaps retail store located at 6013 Park Dr, Wrightwood, CA 92397. Submissions must include first and last name, a valid email address, a phone number, a current mailing address, and a typed copy of the haiku entry.
5. Winners will be announced no later than July 1, 2022. Winners will be announced via this blog, via our Instagram page, and via email to all contestants.
6. Employees of Whole Life Soap and their family members are also ineligible to participate in this contest.
7. Contest rules may change at anytime.
Last updated 4/3/2022