African Black Soap
Our all natural, pure African Black Soap is imported direct from Africa and is a fair trade product. We buy and ship this direct from Nigeria and Ghana for you.
If you are unfamiliar with African Black Soap, it originated in West Africa, and is made with locally harvested plants. While the ingredients for black soap vary by region, they almost all contain water, roasted plantain skin (or cacao pods, in places where plantains are not native), palm oil, palm kernel oil or shea butter. These ingredients contain antioxidants and moisturizing properties that provide the soap with he medicinal qualities for which it’s known. Variations on this recipe have been used for centuries in Africa.
It tends to be a softer soap, and may even be somewhat crumbly in texture, but once it gets wet, it solidifies and holds it shape very well.
African black soap has several skin benefits including:
- Antibacterial properties: samples from African black soap significantly inhibited the growth of bacteria, which helps treat eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.
- Exfoliates skin: The ingredients in African black soap are naturally exfoliating, and help to clear dead skin which can block pores and cause irritations such as razor bumps.
- Acne-fighting: African black soap has been used in Ghana and Nigeria to help balance oily skin; its exfoliating elements clear pores, which helps to lessen and prevent acne and other skin blemishes.
- Moisturizes: The oils in black soap are exceptionally moisturizing, and infuse the skin with moisture, soothing the dry skin that can cause a variety of dermatological conditions.
- Lessens hyperpigmentation (dark spots): Shea butter helps protect skin from the sun, which in turn minimizes dark spots caused by sun damage.
Ingredients: Palm Kernel Oil, plantain, shea butter, Osun (camwood), cocoa pod ash, palm bunch ash, aloe vera, lemon or lime juice.